Rep. Schiff Announces Appointment of Local Students to U.S. Service Academies
Burbank, CA – Today, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Burbank) announced that eight students from California’s 28th District have been offered appointments to the U.S. Service Academies Class of 2023.
“The students appointed to our Service Academies each year exhibit excellence not only in their academic and extracurricular pursuits, but also in their commitment to serving our country,” Schiff said. “These students will receive a rigorous academic and physically demanding education and many will become the leading defenders of our democracy. I have no doubt that this impressive group of students will make our community – and our country – proud.”
The following students received appointments this year:
Air Force Academy:
- Kai Maxwell Gill, a La Cañada Flintridge resident, currently attends La Cañada High School.
- Sharon Sim, a La Crescenta resident, currently attends Crescenta Valley High School.
Military Academy – West Point:
- Sophia McKenzie, a La Cañada Flintridge resident, currently attends La Cañada High School.
- James Rice, a West Hollywood resident, recently graduated from Reddam House High School in New Bondi, Australia.
- Christian Chung, a La Cañada Flintridge resident, currently attends La Cañada High School.
- Jonas Park Greer, a Hollywood Hills resident, currently attends Loyola High School.
- Ami Kim, a La Crescenta resident, currently attends New Covenant High School.
- James William Lee, a La Cañada Flintridge resident, currently attends Loyola High School.
Every year, Congressman Schiff nominates qualified and accomplished local students for admission to the U.S. Service Academies. The four academies requiring a Congressional nomination are the Air Force Academy, the Naval Academy, the Merchant Marine Academy, and the Military Academy at West Point. The fifth is the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, and does not require a Congressional nomination. Students who attend one of the five academies receive a free college education at a highly-ranked, nationally-recognized academic institution, while preparing for an officer's commission in the Armed Forces.
Students interested in applying to a Service Academy for the Class of 2024 should call Congressman Schiff’s District Office at 818-450-2900 or 323-315-5555 or click here to learn more.
Next Article Previous Article