There are four service academies in the United States that require a nomination from an authorized nominating source.
Each academy offers young men and women a free college education at a highly-ranked, nationally-recognized academic program while preparing them for an officer's commission in the armed forces. The academies are: the Air Force Academy, the Merchant Marine Academy, the Military Academy at West Point, and the Naval Academy. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, does not require a Congressional nomination.
Service Academy Nominations: Basic Facts
Acceptance at an Academy involves at least a nine year obligation to the Service--four years at the Academy and five years with the Service. Appointments in the 28th District are very competitive. Therefore, you are encouraged to apply through all available sources. These include United States Senators Kamala Harris and Dianne Feinstein. If you are the child of an active duty service member or deceased or disabled veteran, please contact Congressman Schiff's office for information about additional nominating authorities.
- You must be at least 17 years of age, but not yet 23 years of age.
- You must be a citizen of the United States at the time you enter the Academy.
- You must be unmarried and have no legal obligation to support a child or dependent.
- You must be a legal resident of the 28th Congressional District.
You will need to submit a complete application to Congressman Schiff's office that includes:
- Two letters of recommendation
- An official transcript, including your Junior year course work, your grade point average and your class rank
- College Boards--SAT or ACT scores. Indicate 4163 on the registration form to have scores forwarded directly
- A completed application form
- An essay explaining why you wish to attend a service academy
Download an application HERE. Please mail all application materials to Congressman Schiff's Burbank Office:
245 E. Olive Ave. Ste. #200
Burbank, CA 91502
Basis for Nomination
- Candidate's school record--grade point average and class rank.
- Extra-curricular activities--athletics, community service, and school organizations.
- SAT scores--A competitive candidate must have above 560 on verbal and above 600 on math.
- Interview with Congressman Schiff's Service Academy Advisory Board.
- You must also complete the appropriate application process with each Academy of interest to you.
Applications for the class of 2024 must be submitted by November 15, 2019.
Applications will be reviewed by Congressman Schiff's Academy Advisory Board. Interviews are usually held the first or second weekend in January.
For More Information
For more information please contact Congressman Schiff's Burbank office at (818) 450-2900/(323) 315-5555.
For more detailed information regarding the programs offered by each of the academies, you are encouraged to follow the links below. Each service academy has its own web site.
U.S. Military Academy in West Point, New York
U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland
U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, New York
U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, Connecticut