Immigration and Visas
Neither Congressman Schiff nor his staff can provide you with legal advice, the office can make direct inquiries with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to try and resolve any outstanding immigration concerns.
Citizenship, Change of Status, Family Based Immigration
Many constituents contact Congressman Schiff about processing of citizenship petitions, change of status applications and/or family based immigrant petitions (Form I-130). The office can make inquiries with USCIS officials to assist you through the application process and help provide more timely responses from USCIS.
The USCIS website is also a valuable resource for general information and forms.
If you are experiencing difficulty with an immigration issue Congressman Schiff’s office may be able to help. Please complete a Casework Authorization Form and return it to Congressman Schiff's Burbank office. The office fax number is (818) 450-2928. For immigration cases, in addition to filling out the Casework Authorization Form, please complete our Department of Homeland Security Inquiry Form. Please contact Congressman Schiff's office at (818) 450-2900 if you have any additional questions.
Visitor's Visa (Non-Immigrant Visa)
Most visitor visas are denied because there is a lack of evidence showing strong ties to the home country. This requirement ensures that the visitor will return home before their visa expires instead of remaining here illegally. If you are requesting assistance with a non-immigrant visitor visa, in addition to completing a Casework Authorization Form, please provide the following information:
- Name and passport number of the visitor;
- Date, time and location of the visa appointment;
- Purpose of the visitor's trip (for example: business, holiday, or medical treatment);
- Specific, limited time period visitor plans to stay;
- Visitor's residence outside the U.S;
- Evidence of social and economic ties that will compel the visitor’s return to their country of origin.
The Department of State website is a valuable resource for general information.
- USCIS Casework form UPDATE (03/09/1509:21 AM ET )
- CISCaseworkAuthForm(2).pdf (04/07/1004:36 PM ET )
- CISCaseworkAuthform.pdf (04/07/1004:35 PM ET )